How to Make Easy, Homemade Yogurt
Looking to make delicious yogurt for a fraction of the cost? Here is how my husband makes homemade yogurt in five easy steps!
- 1/2 gallon of milk
- 1/4 cup of yogurt
That’s all of them. You will also need a thermometer, though once he did the recipe a few times, he learned to just eyeball the temperature and his yogurt has always come out perfect!
- Pour about a half gallon of milk in a pot.
- Heat the pot of milk on medium until it reaches just under 200 degrees. Remember to stir it occasionally so it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When it reaches about 200 degrees, remove it from the heat and let it cool to 115 degrees. Pour it into a glass bowl.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the heated milk and mix it with the 1/4 cup of yogurt. The yogurt acts as a starter for the Lactobacillus and Streptococcus (the good bacteria) to turn the rest of the milk into more yogurt. Pour the yogurt and milk mixture back into the bowl.
- Cover the bowl in Saran Wrap and put it in the over with the light on. Leave it in there overnight and tomorrow you will have yogurt!
So easy, and so delicious!
The yogurt will taste like plain yogurt, but you can throw in whatever sweeteners you like. We have had great results with mixing in maple syrup, jam, fresh fruit, granola, and applesauce. Let us know what some of your favorite add-ins are!
Also, check out how you can turn the yogurt into Greek yogurt!